This “Gluhweinkuchen” (also known as mulled wine and dark chocolate bundt cake) was my offering for the Christmas Clandestine Cake Club. I knew I wanted to make something with mulled wine from the start so when I saw this recipe that was that. (I wasn’t swayed by the name of the magazine.. honest. But it is a brilliant name.)
Anyway, back to the
cake point. It’s a German recipe so I have done my best to translate, and going on the end result I didn’t do too badly. With just the right kick, rich chocolate and spice I’ll definitely be making it again before December 25.
150g dark chocolate
1 packet of vanilla sugar (tsp)
10g coco powder
1 level tsp cinnamon
“Tip of a knife” of ground clove and star anise
Zest of 1 orange
1 packet baking powder (2 tsp)
175ml of red wine
For decoration – 150g icing sugar and 3 tbsp of red wine.
1. Cream with the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar.
2. Add one egg at a time.
3. Mix in the flour, coco, spices, orange zest and baking powder.
4. Add the 175ml of red wine.
5. “Schokolade hacken” (break up the chocolate) and add.
6. Put into a greased bundt tin.
7. Bake in a hot oven, 175oC for 45 – 55 minutes.
8. Leave to cool.
For decoration – mix the icing sugar with the 3 tbsp of red wine, top with shavings of chocolate.