I love sorbet.
Perhaps it is an age thing? I’m at the age after smothering Mr Wippy all over my face – almost. And at the point before watching Wimbledon. It’s the perfect pudding, nice but not too naughty. Which is ideal as I have usually already wolfed a starter, main course and some spoons from my table-mate’s plates.
So here goes…
Pink Lady Apple Sorbet.
Served with soft, juicy strawberries this is the perfect recipe for summer – or for pretending it is summer. Sweet and tangy Pink Lady Apples mean you’ll be wanting this by the tub-load not by the scoop.
Serves 4 (or 2, very, very well)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Freezing time: 1 hour
500g Sweet Eve strawberries
6 Pink Lady® apples
Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
4 tbsp of grenadine cordial
50ml elderflower cordial
100g caster sugar
4 sprigs of mint for decoration
1. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, and place them in a blender with half of the strawberries, lemon zest and juice, grenadine cordial, elderflower cordial and sugar.
2. Puree till the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Place the puree in a clean Tupperware container, smooth it with a fork till it is completely level and then close with a plastic lid.
4. Freeze the puree for half an hour. Whisk with a fork, and re-level it. Freeze again till quite solid, but of “spooning consistency.” (Childish giggle.)
5. Place a generous spoonful of strawberry and apple sorbet in a serving dish, and top it with the rest of the strawberries.
6. Find a patch of sunshine (or shade if you are like me.) Bask in it and enjoy.